Friday, July 24, 2015

Summer is here, and in California this is the time most home construction projects start.
In order to protect yourself from having a Mechanics Lien attached to your property, have the contractor provide you with a Signed Lien Release form from all subcontractors, labors, and suppliers. As a side note when hiring a General Contractor; make sure the individuals license is current, and is bonded.
A Mechanics Lien is a "hold against your>>>
property”, filed by an unpaid contractor, subcontractor, laborer, or material supplier, and is recorded with the county recorder's office. If unpaid, it allows a foreclosure action, forcing the sale of the property in lieu of compensation. Any reputable General Contractor that has a current license will not have in issue with producing these forms.
ALWAYS keep mind that a Handyman in California, can only do work up to $500 - which includes labor and materials, and may only perform work that is "Casual, minor or inconsequential in nature".

No comments: